I’m a member of a group that does art swaps, mostly ATC (artist trading cards) but we do other things as well. This is something I’m just starting to dip my toe into. I recently signed up for a swap to trade 10 backgrounds. I figured go big or go home and signed up for three. So now I need to make 30 backgrounds. Sure they are just 2.5″ x 3.5″ but since I’ve never done anything like this before I figured I’d better get in there and get it done.
My first stop was Pinterest. I didn’t really have any concrete ideas on what to do so I searched for backgrounds and came up with a goldmine. I was fortunate enough to have my sister in crime and fellow artist Holly over to play for the day and it didn’t take us long to figure out that among the different ideas I had pinned, this time around we were going to play with [amazon text=Citrasolv&asin=B00869RQL8]. The tutorial I was using was from Gingersnap Creations and was just what we needed to get going.
Set up was pretty easy. I put down some freezer paper and then newspaper to protect the table. Skip the newspaper, it was not my best idea. Pour a little Citrasolv into a spray bottle and grab some towels! That’s all you need. Supplies added later were cotton pads, cotton swabs, paint brush and palette knife. I had no idea what to really expect so we picked out some lighter and darker pages. The first image is the two that Holly worked on.
These three were mine.
I went for the lighter bottom image first. I was surprised at how quickly the dark ink lifted and what it left behind. I don’t know what I was expecting but I ended up getting a very interesting effect. This one was done with paper towels and mostly dabbing and swirling.
On the second image (original in upper right) I remembered that I could use cotton pads so I grabbed some of those. Remembering how the dark lifted off I decided that this time I would lift the dark and transfer it over to the image. Lots of patting, swirling and other such fun ensued. I like the very batik effect I got from this.
The third attempt was lighter to begin with. Knowing what I know now I probably wouldn’t have picked this one out but I did take the opportunity to be a little more aggressive with my scrubbing just to see what would happen.
Now Miss Holly went in a different direction. Her first one was mostly dabbing to see what would happen. Honestly I wasn’t watching since I was doing my own. On the larger piece she did get her fingers in there. I love the look it gave. However it was her third one where she got out the paint brush and palette knife. Ah yes…that was when she really got into it. I can’t wait to see what she does with hers.
We had so much fun making those that we grabbed a couple more.
I had a coffee table book that I went for this time. Glossy glossy! Really had fun with this one too.
After all of mine dried it was time to cut them up. I love the variety I got! I completely admit to keeping the scraps from this project!