I could go into explanations of why I haven’t been updating but really…who cares?
Here’s something I’ve been up to instead. Grandpa and I have been working on the desk in my studio. It’s slow going because we oddly decided to take on this project in mid-winter. Nevertheless, I have something from the process to share today.
Here’s the breakdown of what you’ll need
- 4 yard sticks $4.00
- Polycrylic $0.60 (It retails for around $9.49 and I used about half an ounce)
- Stain $0.30 (Again it retails for around $4.77 and I used about half an ounce)
- Sandpaper/Sander/Multi Tool/Small dog
- The usual implements for any wood project. Cheesecloth or tack cloth for wiping down after sanding and whatever brush/sponge you want to apply your finish with.
It’s no secret that I love Pinterest. Some days I’m sure it makes Grandpa cringe when I go to show him my latest find. The other day I was looking for some ideas and came across this post.
This blogger hot glued a measuring tape on her cutting table. I thought it was an interesting idea but I also know that those measuring tapes don’t stand the test of time and it wouldn’t take long for it to start not being as helpful. So, what could I do to improve on the idea? I immediately thought of my poor old yardstick. It had been out in the sun for some time and amazingly didn’t warp but was beautifully aged.
Problem was I only had one of them and I would need more for this idea. Four new yardsticks were purchased. And they were new. And ugly. And had words and UPC codes. Just ew.
Time for the sander. Sadly I didn’t take pictures of the process but it went something like this…
I sanded off the words using a mostly light touch. I say mostly because I didn’t want to ruin the wood but I wasn’t going for an even sand. I did all the things you shouldn’t do when sanding. The difference was this time I did them on purpose. I sanded too deep in spots. With the edge of the sander. Against the grain. You name it I did it. And it was worth the effort!
Next I used a small paint brush and some Minwax water based Polycrylic (clear matte) and painted over the numbers. The words were easy enough to sand off and Grandpa had suggested protecting the numbers and markings. About halfway through the first yardstick I realized that this was also going to go a long way in giving us that aged look. As such, I got creative with my finishing skills. Some lines and numbers I painted very precisely. Others…not so much.
After those had dried it was time to put some stain on. After much deliberation we decided to go with Minwax wood finish stain in Classic Gray. To say I was delighted with the results is an understatement. Again, no real process other than doing things “wrong”. I didn’t spread the stain evenly. I let it really soak in on some places and others were barely touched. I have to say, all those times that my dad instructed me in wood finishing paid off. I just did all the things he told me not to do. The results were imperfectly beautiful.
I can’t wait to get these installed but for now I’ll just wander into the studio and be delighted every time I see them waiting.
Once the desk is finished I’ll come back to add those pictures.
Until next time…